“Everyone smiles in the same language.” ~Author Unknown

Posted by & filed under Challenge.

There is debate as to whether this quote is factually true, but I’m not concerned with that. It is the sentiment that speaks to my views on humanity; what it is that makes us human. In my 35 years on this earth, I have travelled to 5 continents and over 25 countries. My experiences traveling always bring me back to the idea of a shared humanity, and more specifically the human to human connection. Cultures and customs, architecture and landscape, food and language are wonderfully varied and often what one seeks when traveling. But as cliché as it sounds, the best moments I’ve had while visiting other places are rooted in the people I met there.

Sharing a laugh or a smile with someone translates – human connection is made. I tend to believe that most people operate from this perspective. We seek the connection. We realize that our own humanity is intimately linked to the people in our lives. Human interactions are like a web, we cannot exist without others. It’s how we grown and learn. It’s how we develop empathy for others. Humans live in community because without it we become lost. We feel the fullest expression of ourselves, when we feel connected.

Human being: being human – is not singular, it relies on connection. This is my truth.

apple – Kate Trzaskos

Director of Non-Degree Programs