Inspiration

Posted by & filed under Challenge.

The prompt for this year’s Beautiful Minds Challenge sparks so many ideas for me that I could not identify one thought to delve deeply into. Instead, I thought that I would present a variety of concepts that I hope will spark your creativity as you ponder the prompt — Human being: being human. Capture truth.

“Wherever the art of medicine is loved, there is also a love of humanity.” -Hippocrates

Keeping creatures alive shows that we care about others and are not entirely self-focused. But does Hippocrates consider all animals under the umbrella of humanity, or only human beings?

“The straight line leads to the downfall of humanity.” -Friedensreich Hundertwasser

An argument against rigidity and fundamentalism. It seems that American media has a tendency to sensationalize these viewpoints, and that the flexible (humanistic?) voices are often silenced.

“I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music.” -Billy Joel

I have heard that music is the universal language. How does music unite humans? Why do bird and whale songs sound so musical to human ears – and are they purely communication for those species or might they view the sounds they make as beautiful as music?

“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -Horace Mann

Mann expresses that a life worth living is one that serves your fellow man and not just yourself.

Happy Beautiful Minds Challenge project creation!

-Angie Hamilton

Office of Non-Degree Programs & Admission

Marlboro College

Angie1